Saturday, May 31, 2014

Bruce Willis is No Match....


Planetary Annihilation is one of the first kickstarted games that I was dying to be a backer of. The advertised ability to take a moon and slam it into a planet to wipe out your enemies; who can say no to that? Unfortunately finances got very tight JUST when the Kickstarter was scheduled to end, so I couldn’t throw my hat in right away. After a few months, they offered pre-sales through their website with beta access and I jumped on board. I play the occasional RTS when it catches my interest, and I generally prefer them to be on the slower side of pacing, but this title with its fast pace action is definitely growing on me.
The first time I loaded the game and tried out a match, I was stomped flat in no time. My enemy came at me with 100 angry robots, stomping my one measly factory into dust before crushing my commander. Reboot, try again, similar results. I had watched some of the tutorials, but I was determined to learn it on my own. Eventually I had to cave and turn down the production rate of my enemies in order to get any troops on the board. I played for a few hours, and found it to be a fun game even if I never accomplished the fabled planet smashing. Looking back, I am not sure if the finer commands had yet to be implemented or if I just had not yet learned them, but I do recall feeling as though I had to frantically click at all times to keep pace with even the slowest enemy production.
The game-play is a big zerg-y in my opinion, which isn’t a complaint, merely an observation. For some reason I had expected it to play more akin to a Command & Conquer game opposed to the Warcraft/Starcraft mode, but no matter. The style was what the developers chose, and I just had to readjust my expectations.
These wars take place on a planetary system level. With some nice tools you can take the time to create your own systems, adding multiple planets and moons around a star, changing orbital height and direction, planet type and size. You can also have a random system populated for you. I enjoyed building my own, but found the random generation to be a strong tool, creating some equally enjoyable systems to play in. While loading into the game, you choose which planetary body you will set as the home base, and once in the map, you get to choose from a few different initial locations on the planet. This is a great tool allowing you to adapt to the procedural generation of metal nodes.

The build system runs off of two resources: Metal and Energy. Metal is generated by adding structures that look much like an oil drill on per-determined nodes. Energy is created by placing power plants. Both resources are constantly renewing, adding more of these structures increases the rate at which they are generated. The nodes at no point run out of metal or energy to generate. To increase your maximum stored energy and metal, you can build storage units. When creating units or buildings, it draws from this pool in real-time, so as long as you have spare you can temporarily outpace your generation. Ideally you want to set it up to balance or constantly grow your pool, but desperate times…
The general mechanics after that are pretty standard, in terms of unit construction and advancement. Commander makes the first unit building that can create more builders, which can create advanced buildings. The advanced buildings can make advanced builders to create the highest tier.

I set the game aside after a few hours, and let it sit and age a bit.
That’s one of the nice parts about alpha and beta build games. If I am not thrilled with them immediately, I have the option of letting them age, watching them develop and trying them again after an evolution or two. Games came and went, and PA took a back seat in my mind, until one day I noticed on Steam’s front page an announcement that the Galactic War mode had been added, a grand single player campaign. I “dusted” off my copy, got it reinstalled (now a computer upgrade and refresh later) and patched, and loaded in. I jumped into the new Galactic War mode and was introduced to a new galactic map setup. You worked your way through a web of paths to different systems, each allowing you to search for tech to customize your commander. Once you find a system occupied, you fight, and it brings you to the mode I had played before. This time, I found the controls to be more intuitive (could still blame the prior experience on me). Ctrl + 1-9 created groups & 1-9 recalled those groups. Clicking and dragging when building creates lines of the buildings. Shift clicking queues up what the builder will work on next. With this knowledge in hand, my base shot up from the ground, and I had a force of 50 vehicles in no time, and I set out to find the enemy. Crushed them, no problem. No need for upper tier tech, just first tier tanks doing what they do best.
I’ve played through a few more fights, getting to a boss system, which is where my game now stands.
I still have yet to experience the joy of crushing a planet with another planet, but the orbital units add a nice third dimension to the game. Even traveling to other planets within the system is beautifully crafted, requiring the unit to pass into an interplanetary orbit before rendezvousing with the target planet and settling into orbit. I look forward to learning more tips and tricks, and getting to harder fights which will require the high end of the tech ladder.

Someday I will de-orbit a moon into its planet, ending my enemy….

Thanks for following!
Sign up for updates via email or RSS on the right!


-Sociopathic Score-


Though I have yet to succeed at this, smashing planets together like marbles, regardless of collateral damage is pretty much the definition of Sociopathic Behavior

-Sophomoric Score-


I get a childlike joy at the zerg abilities. And did I mention planetary bowling (see above)?

-Strategic Score-



The tech tree is pretty basic still, so you can’t really over-think what to focus on next. Given Land, Air, Sea and Space units, I can see a balance point based on strategy forming, but it is still a zerg game at heart. Makes you think, won’t require Mensa memberships...

-Mac





No comments:

Post a Comment