Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Games...Games...and more games




Falling ever behind this week…guess that’s what happens when you work full time, have a fiancĂ©, try to game AND run a gaming blog. I’ll get the hang of this, I swear! Sony’s conference. Last year, they blew me, and many others away, with their PS4 announcement, game reveals, and overall presentation. I went into this one optimistic, but keeping my expectations low, knowing it’s next to impossible to have a repeat of last year’s highs. I was definitely not disappointed, they put on a solid display, showed some amazing progress on games that aren’t quite out yet and gave us a great taste of new titles to come. I’m going to hit a bunch of the titles that excite me here, and mention a few more at the end if you want to see more. I’ll keep my comments on each short, Sony had a lot to put forward this year.

Destiny

This is the game that is making me die for a next gen system, has been since the announcement trailers last year. The nice part? Sony is making it easier for me by releasing a special edition white PS4 bundled with Destiny…now to just find the money to buy said bundle. Any donations? No? Ok, had to ask… In addition to the special PS4, Sony fans will also get a taste of the game first, with beta coming to the Playstation 4 first on July 17.
And pre-order here to get into beta ASAP! Game ships September 9.

The Order: 1886

Another title from Sony I look forward to, helping lean me in the PS4 direction before the XBone direction. Best I can tell, it’s a steampunk werewolf hunting game. I’d say more, but that really seems to sum it up. It just got pushed to early next year, but I’m one who would rather a game get pushed and perfected than released as crap.

Infamous: Second Son

This one has actually taunted me since its launch. The series is not groundbreaking or absolute 10/10 games, but they are thoroughly enjoyable action, open city games. Looks like they are releasing a big DLC for the game, and to sweeten the deal, they are making it standalone. You get some exclusives if you DO own Second Son, but it’s not needed, which I think is an awesome perk.

Little Big Planet 3

What’s not to love about these games? They are the first coopetition games I ever got into with my friends, and we used to have a blast torturing each other throughout them. Nothing like waiting until your friend is about to make a big jump across a pit and grabbing their arm, weighting them down into the pit. Totally worth the shared death.

Bloodborne

Originally leaked as Project Beast, this game is a gothic, bloody, well, beast of a game. It seems to be a spiritual successor to Dark Souls, and it definitely looks like it will live up to its name.

Farcry 4

Announced a week or so back, this is a title I had been looking forward to seeing more of at E3, and wasn’t disappointed. Evidently, the most dangerous weapon you can use in the game? An elephant. Considering you also get access to a helicopter, that’s saying something. I am sold right there. They have also shown scenes of mini crossbows, sticky bombs, wingsuits, and more.
Again here Sony shows their commitment to staying in the lead in this console war by offering an awesome perk – you can invite your friends to play coop with you, even if they don’t own the game. Looks like we are getting our first taste of the powers behind Playstation Now…

Metal Gear Solid 5

I was a latecomer to the MGS saga, picking up 2 shortly before 4 came out, but it was love at first sight. I tore through 4 as fast as I could (taking into account the 2 hour movie you get to watch), and was skeptical when Kojima said it was his last. Well, it wasn’t, and we have seen the first part of MGS 5 already with Ground Zeroes, and here we get our first real taste of The Phantom Pain. From the sounds of those who got to see the first 20 minutes available at E3, this game does not disappoint. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

GTA V

They are officially porting GTA V to the next gen consoles, as well as PC, and all reports show it will look better than ever.

Batman: Arkham Knight

You get to drive the Batmobile. If I knew nothing else about this game, that would be enough. But it’s also an Arkham game, which has me sold entirely. Looks like Scarecrow will be the big baddy – though I hope they don’t just cram the drug induced sections down our throats. They are amazing, but I don’t want a whole game of them. Sadly it has been pushed back to early next year, but again, I’d rather it come out polished.

Last of Us

Last of us is getting a makeover for the PS4. Game already looked amazing, but look at it now

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Last, but certainly not least, Uncharted is making its PS4 debut. Again, with this, the system is pretty much sold for me. I love the Uncharted games, they have so much attention to detail, so much pretty, and the game-play is just downright fun. All we really know so far is that it will be about a pirate treasure, and if the title has any implications, it may be our last Nathan Drake story? Can’t wait to see more


Roundup

Other games touched on that I have no real opinions on just yet include:
·         Entwined
·         Dead Island 2
·         Magicka 2
·         Grim Fandango
·         Broforce
·         Not a Hero
·         Hotline Miami 2
·         Let it Die
·         Abzu
·         No Man’s Sky


Wrap-up

That’s it for now, going to get a bit of Wildstar in before it gets too late. Another update on THAT coming after the E3 craziness dies down. One more day of conferences, will hopefully get all my write-ups done by Friday.
Sony packed a lot into their conference, and I look forward to seeing if it all lives up to the hype.  Stay tuned as the games release for updates!

Thanks for following! If you like what you see, like my Facebook Page, Google + Page, or follow via RSS or twitter @Driachan


-Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment